Sunday, November 25, 2012

PANAMA INVASION

 
.....I should have known when the night started bad...
 
When I signed on the dispatcher said the supervisor wanted to talk to me at the office...now!
 
Turns out he's had a complaint from another driver.  I had not answered a first call until nine minutes
after I took it.
 
Four minutes beyond the allocated time of five minutes.  He did not say who complained, what trip or what time.
 
I didn't know what he was talking about.  I explained, sometimes it's difficult to get thru on the radio.
 
He accepted the explanation then said he would be enforcing the "five min." rule.
 
The first call were some old folks out of a hospital.  I
 had to get aggressive with her for, "over directing".
 
Then there was a noise in the right front wheel.  I stopped and popped the hub cap.  It was the cap inside.
 
Next I go to a Christmass party in Highland Park from the airport.
 
Later I'm sitting on the Hillcrest stand when I take a call for La Cieniga and Saturn.
 
Before I get there the dispatcher announces that the U.S. has just invaded Panama.
 
At La Cieniga and Saturn I call in for the address.  It's 8542 Saturn, apt #2.
 
 
I look at the numbers.  I'm in the 6000 block of Saturn.  The 8500  block is quit far away.
 
I call in to find out why they sent me so far away from the numbers.  In spite of three or four attempts I was un-able to get thru because the dispatcher was so busy talking about the invasion.
 
I looked down Saturn.  It ended a couple of blocks W. of La Cieniga.  I went to Pico to head W. but discovered that the 1st block W. of La Cieniga
the numbers jumped to 8500.
 
I located the address.  I honked the horn and waited.  When no one showed I got out and knocked on the door.  No answer.  The house was dark.  I figured it was a prank.
 
Back in the cab I double checked to make sure I was on the right St.   I was.  I tried to call in but the dispatcher was still going on about the invasion.
 
 
I made a judgement call.  I decided I wasn't going to be able to get thru so I returned to the stand.
 
Maybe five minutes go by when the dispatcher calls and asks what happened.
 
I told him.  He said I should have called him to call them out.
 
I told him I had tried but was un-able to get thru because of the invasion chatter.  He expressed suprize then apologized. I went back and got the fare.
 
He was going to Gardena  At La Cieniga and Centinela the dispatcher called and asked my location.  He said call him when I got back to Westwood.
 
Later he was complaing that I had criticized him over
the radio.  I had to meet the night supervisor and explain.
 
By the time we finished it was 2 A.M.  I called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment